Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Blizzards

This is a good approximation of what it looks like outside right now. Minus the goofy animal, that is:


Whatever that thing is, anyway. Mink? Weasel? A white otter? Who knows.

It began snowing as the sun set this evening, and hasn't stopped. Everything is covered and coated again in about two inches as of right now, roughly. The temperature also dropped by about twenty degrees, making it feel as if a new ice age swept in for 2014.

Oh yeah, it's 2014. Happy New Year. There, I've said it, so we can move on now.

At some point in the next day or so, snow or no snow, I still have to go out shopping. Not that I really have any money for it, mind you, but I'm out of things I can't go without. I made a mental inventory in my head last night upon going to bed, and most of the stuff I need could be put into the category of "small essentials." Meaning, in case you couldn't figure it out, that they're all small things, but they're all vital and quite necessary. It only figures that it would snow, making the roads suck regardless of when I go out. It is only about three miles to Walmart (and three back, of course) but eh. The car's not been out of the garage in almost three weeks now, and I hate being out in the cold anyway.

Whine whine bitch moan, I know.

I really did relatively little today. I ran the dishwasher and got a shower. In a little while, I'm going to go downstairs and run a load of laundry, since I need to. I ate dinner and watched Wreck-It Ralph for the first time. Even though it's still snowing, if I weren't so tired, I'd probably make the Walmart trip tonight, simply because once the roads get snowpacked in the morning, it'll probably suck more to go out in it. The only other reason I'm waiting is because I'll be able to see tomorrow, when I can't see now in the blowing snow.

On the plus side, the Bactrim is working, and it seems as if my sinus infection is finally kicking the bucket. Operation "Go Away, Snot" is a success. I have to take it every twelve hours, which basically means when I get up in the morning and again in the evening a few hours before bed. I've only had two days' worth of doses of it (it's a ten-day antibiotic) and already I feel good as new. Of course, I have to take the entire run of it regardless.

I've always been wary of antibiotics; I don't like taking them except only when extremely necessary. I have allergic reactions to some different ones (such as clindamycin), and other basic ones I became immune to early on as a child with the amount of ear infections I used to have. For example, I don't think amoxicillin does anything for me anymore. For ear infections, most of the time I've been given Zithromax. I know I've used Bactrim before too, for something. Perhaps it was for an ear or sinus infection ages ago. I'll never be one of those people who sees antibiotics as a cure-all, only as a last resort sort of measure.

Anyway, the pain and discomfort of everything yesterday as it dislodged and drained wasn't pleasant at all; my throat was incredibly sore and my lymph nodes felt like swollen plums as the Bactrim kicked in and started clearing all of that stuff out. My throat was still sore until this morning from all the drainage until, finally, most of it was gone.

Aside from venturing out tomorrow to go to Walmart, I have no real plans for the rest of the week. I'm still resting up from the trip to Omaha, I think -- while Daisy has been sick off and on, and Mama has been really sick, I've just been really fatigued and out-of-it. Part of that may be due to the antibiotics, yes, and a large part of it has to do with the cold/snow as well, I'm sure, I just find it hard to concentrate and stay awake and alert a lot of the time.

I shall update you folks again soon, but for now, I need to go to bed.

No comments: