Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Long, Cold March of Winter

Spring semester: day seventeen

Uncharacteristic of me, I actually slept all night last night. Well, sort of. I went to bed around 8PM and got up around 3AM. That's seven hours, and a lot more than I get on any normal weeknight. I'll chalk that up in the "successful night of sleep" category.

Yesterday, it was over fifty degrees and beautiful. I went out in it to run a few errands (the previously-mentioned Walmart and gas trip I needed to do). It was very nice, especially for the first week of February in Kansas. Then again, for the past few weeks the temperature has been flirting with 70 or so on a regular basis.

Not anymore, though. There's rain and snow moving through the area today, and at 43 degrees outside now, that's the warmest it's going to be. The wind is supposed to be pretty strong and nasty too, but that's normal for Kansas in any part of the year. By this afternoon/evening when I come home from class, it's supposed to be a nasty rain/snow mix with the aforementioned shitty wind. Which, of course, is not only normal Kansas February weather, but will be just delightful to drive in. As I told my mother in an email last night, people in Kansas drive like idiots normally, but doubly so when the weather is the least bit unpleasant. At least my car has a full tank of gas and seems to be running normally.

Today, as mentioned before, will be a long day anyway. I'm teaching this morning as per the usual, then holding office hours (at least one of which I have to cancel so that I can meet for the first time with this semester's visiting writer this afternoon), then going to poetry workshop. My poem for the packet this week is truly awful, and I fully admit that -- I'm not planning on workshopping it anyway and just needed something to put into the packet. I've not been as inspired to write as much over the course of the past few weeks as I normally am. I'd blame it on being busy, but I've not been incredibly busy as of late. I've just been...well, uninspired. I've not even been really preoccupied with anything, to tell you the truth. Fatigue's been a big part of it. I'm just tired and want to be lazy, and I'll fully admit that.

However, amusingly enough, when I woke up this morning all of my aches and pains I wrote about in my last post were gone. Well, all of them but the achy muscles in my forearm from bowling this weekend; those muscles are still a little tight and sore, but then again I did bowl almost five games back-to-back. That's to be expected.

At least in my downtime, I'll be entertained; having preordered my copy of Tucker Max's new book, I'll receive it today (which is also its release date). According to the tracking number, it's on its way to my house right now. I also ordered (again, one of the few things I've actually done as of late to treat myself) the first three collections of Space Ghost Coast to Coast on DVD as well, as they were incredibly cheap in the bundle pack, and since I finished the two seasons of Community I had, I desperately need something funny to watch in an episodic format. Desperately. Especially now that I can't even watch football anymore to take my mind off things.

I know this makes it sound like I spend a lot of money frivolously; I really, really don't. The vast majority of my money goes to bills, food, and gas for the car. When I stopped at Wendy's on Saturday night on the way home, that's the first time I've actually "eaten out" since August; the only exceptions to that rule being when I very occasionally (read: maybe once a month, and only if I have some money in my wallet) order a pizza, and the cheeseburger I got at McDonald's about a month ago when I was picking up groceries. I never go out drinking or bar-hopping with my friends; as I've said many times before, to me it's mostly pointless.

Well, that and I'm very rarely, if ever, invited to go out and do such things. It doesn't feel right if I just tag along. I'm pretty sure on Saturday after bowling, a lot of us went out drinking after we finished. When the games were over, everybody got into their little groups and made plans, and I stood in the lobby of the bowling alley alone for a few minutes before I shrugged and thought to myself well, it looks like I'm going home. And that's what I did.

I'm really not looking forward to braving the weather today. It's not that I'm tired (because, for once, I'm not), it's just that I'm impatient for spring to actually get here and stay here. I don't like being cold. I also haven't left the house yet (though I will in about ten minutes or so). The biggest part of my proverbial battle of graduate school is actually forcing myself to leave the house and take care of my daily responsibilities, which is (in case you hadn't guessed) not exactly thrilling or fun most of the time. But oh well.

No comments: